Last night I was tired and struggled to have patience with the kids. Unfortunately with all of the stress I had been feeling from the events of the day and certain upcoming events I blew a gasket and sent them all to bed. My nerves were shot and I needed some strength. A phrase from Julie B. Beck's conference address that I had heard the previous day on the radio entered my mind.
"Mothers who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from their home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world's goods in order to spend more time with their children - more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying."
I wish my story had a happy ending and I could say that I went straight up to the kids room and spent some time with them reading the scriptures, singing songs and praying....but I didn't. I was still to distracted from the events of the day to change my behavior. I had sent my children to bed hungry. Not from lack of food but from lack of prayers, scripture study and time.
As the night continued on I thought more and more about the phrase "less distraction." Unfortunately I allow myself to be easily distracted from those things that should take priority in my life such as scripture study, temple attendance, exercise etc. So in the year 2008 I am going to allow less distraction in my life and focus my days on those things that will spiritually and physically feed me and my family. Anyone up for the challenge with me?
6 comments:
Ok Deanna,
This is why you are so amazing to me! You are an inspired woman!! I am willing to join the challenge, and believe you me, it will be tough because I have SO many distractions right now and I feel the pull away from my family so strongly!! Thanks for being so awesome! Love you!
Cheryl
Hey Slick! This is such a great thing! The kids look so cute in their pictures and it is fun to read their comments!
I am so grateful that you had read Sister Becks talk the day before so that you treasure up the words of eternal life that they might come into your mind in the hour that you need them.
I am up for the challenge and we can set some family goals as a couple and as a family with the kids.
I am grateful to have be bless to be married to such a wonderful woman and also a wonderful mother. I love you!
Dan
I know it seems as if, having just moved to SC, I should have far fewer distractions than usual but, in fact, I have many. I find myself focusing on many things that are not my family ... I am up for the challenge!!
I love you "blogspot" you have done a great job! How do you get the pictures to be inside you "blog" area?
Hey Leona,
When you create a new post you are given the option of adding a picture. YOu will find it in a toolbar above the post area. Click on the picture icon and it will allow you to post a picture and decide where in the post you want it and also what size you want the picture (small, medium, large) Good Luck!
Deanna
hello-
I am so glad that you are doing this blog. We live so far away from everyone and it is so nice to see pictures and hear how you and your family are doing. The kids look so good. I might have to steal your idea of a family blog. I am hoping that everyone that was in St. George for thanksgiving will be there for the reunion, because we are going to try really hard to be there. My visiting teachers came this morning and read many quotes from this same talk, I guess I really needed to hear these same things. I am up to the challenge. I know now that I will daily have to remind myself of the cahllenge. I am distracted every second of the day. Thanks for the idea. Lots of love from your favorite cousin,
Amy Christensen
Just wanted to say I really miss you and I'm sorry I'm not there to help out! I just got to spend the week with two of my sisters and the new baby here in St. Louis and it was very nice. You know what a big deal it was to get them away from Ohio, even if I did have to fly out and drive them back! I know I don't live close but hope you know I'm thinking of you guys!
Love Shelley
Post a Comment